Administering Final Pay: What Are Your Rights and Obligations When the Employment Relationship Ends?
|Date / Time:
Whether it's an unexpected resignation or an unplanned, immediate termination, the clock is ticking on your employee's final paycheck. If you delay or get it wrong, you could face strict penalties and even a wage and hour class action.
Many plaintiffs’ attorneys have built extremely successful practices that pursue employers for wage and hour violations related to termination pay. Don’t line their pockets by making common gaffes when issuing the final paychecks within your organization.
Join us and get up to speed on your final pay obligations so you can stay in compliance with state and federal wage and hour laws. The best way to avoid costly errors is to have a plan in place for employee resignations and terminations long before an employment relationship ends, and this webinar will teach you how to craft that important plan.
- When wages must be paid after you terminate an employee or when the employee resigns
- The types of waiting-time penalties and how to avoid them
- How to properly calculate the amount of vacation pay, sick leave pay, and commissions owed upon separation of employment
- Limitations that you may face when trying to recover a loan to an employee or money for damage they caused to company property
- How to enforce a reimbursement agreement
What you should do if the employee claims you still owe him or her money
- What a change in relationship letter should always include
- Severance pay and separation package pointers:
- Sample language you can use when drafting any severance or separation agreement
- Types of claims you’re permitted to release with proper monetary “consideration” and the ones you can never release
- When you should consider contesting a claim for unemployment
- Pre-termination best practices so you can minimize surprises
- Proper documentation of performance, discussions, tardiness, absences, and other issues
- When you should offer the employee a chance to formally resign instead of terminating him or her
- Effective strategies for conducting productive exit interviews
- The game plan to follow when you’ve got a problem employee on your hands
- Best practices for designating someone internally to be the point of contact for all former employees
About Your Presenter
Joel M. Van Parys
Carothers DiSante & Freudenberger LLP
Joel M. Van Parys is an attorney in the Sacramento office of Carothers DiSante & Freudenberger LLP. He represents management in all aspects of the employer-employee relationship, including defense of wage and hour claims, employee misclassifications, wrongful termination, discrimination and harassment, retaliation and unfair competition claims.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|Licenses / Designations / Educational Credits:||PHR / SPHR Re-Certification Credits|
All US States: 1.5
|About The Provider:
||BLR® is the leader in helping organizations, and their employees, reduce safety, environmental and employment compliance-related legal exposure, stay on the right side of law, and achieve their full potential. We offer best-in-class compliance product and services that includes news, information & analysis, best practice guidance, employee training and turn-key tools delivered in a wide range of formats from online applications, live events and websites to books, CD's, Video, Posters and newsletters geared to all sized organizations and industries.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
|Keywords For This Course:|
wages, termination, termination pay
Letters of Credit
ACH Exception Processing
Key Ratio Analysis: Calculating and Interpreting the Numbers Correctly!
Deposit Analysis For Today′s Environment
Bank Call Report Preparation for Beginners
Call Reports: RC-C Loan Coding and Related RC-R Reporting
Safe Deposit Box "Danger Zones"
Controlling the Risks of Power of Attorney Documents
Certified Regulatory Vendor Program Manager
Reg E Compliance – Five Best Practices for Handling Disputes
Basic Bankruptcy for Bankers
Flood Insurance Compliance Hot Spots
Opening New Accounts: Trust, Fiduciary and Minor Accounts
Opening New Accounts: Business Accounts
Limited Liability Companies: Do′s and Don′ts
Regulation CC - Check Holds