Defending FDCPA Claims Based On Collection Letters
|Date / Time:
The defects in collection letters form the primary basis of claims against debt collectors.
This training session provides an overview of the typical claims that are brought against debt collectors pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act - as well as the best defenses against such claims.
You also learn about recent cases involving claims emerging from the language and format used in collection letters, as well as practical do's and don'ts to avoid common FDCPA violations.
About The Presenters
- Is There a Perfect Form Letter?
Overview of Typical Claims Arising From Collection Letters
- Specific Claims and Defenses Under Sections 1692d 1692e, 1692f and 1692g
- Risks of Exposure to Potential Class Action Claims
- Survey of Recent FDCPA Decisions and Emerging Trends
- Best Practices: Avoiding Common FDCPA Violations
Concepcion A. Montoya
- Partner in the Miami office of Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP and a member of the firm’s Consumer and Class Action Litigation Practice Group
- A litigator who focuses much of her practice in the area of consumer and class action litigation
- Has prevailed on a number of dispositive motions in federal and state court which she prepared and argued
- In the consumer and class action litigation arena, she frequently defends against individual and class action claims arising from the application of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Truth-in-Lending Act (TILA), and state consumer protection laws
- Was selected as one of South Florida Business Journal’s 40 Under 40, which recognizes South Florida’s brightest up-and-coming professionals under 40 years of age for their professional success and community involvement
- J.D. degree, University of Miami; B.A. degree, cum laude, Florida International University
- Partner with Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Brings nearly 15 years of trial and litigation experience to her practice, specifically consumer defense and employment law
- Widely recognized for successful strategies that resolve litigation disputes involving consumer defense claims and employment law
- Has designed and conducted training workshops for clients in the consumer lending industry regarding compliance with the FDCPA, FCRA, and TCPA and regulations promulgated by the Consumer Federal Protection Bureau (CFPB)
- Was awarded Legal Rookie of the Year 2000 to 2001, for demonstration of outstanding performance, promise, dedication, a solid work ethic, constructive attitude, and willingness to contribute to a positive work environment
- In 2004, she received the Municipal Affairs Award for outstanding achievement in the New York City Law Department, from the Municipal Affairs Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- J.D. degree, Brooklyn Law School; B.A. degree, New York University
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Bank Call Report Preparation for Beginners
Call Reports: RC-C Loan Coding and Related RC-R Reporting
Introduction To Credit Analysis
Controlling the Risks of Power of Attorney Documents
ACH Exception Processing
Certified Regulatory Vendor Program Manager
Writing an Effective Credit Memorandum
Calculating Cash Flow
Financial Risk Manager Certification
CSA Certified Senior Advisor
Qualified Financial Advisor (QFA)
Loan Officer Boot Camp
Loan Processing 101: The Basics