Vicarious Liability In Collections
|Date / Time:
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), state attorney generals and consumer attorneys have become increasingly active in challenging the collection practices utilized by creditors and debt collectors. As a result, issues of vicarious liability are now a central concern to all participants in the collection process, including creditors, collection agencies, collection lawyers and collection industry service providers.
In this live webinar, two industry experts will discuss principles of vicarious liability and recent trends in collection industry litigation that can significantly impact your clients and your practice.
- Recent Enforcement Activity in the Credit and Collections Industry
- Overview of Recent Enforcement Actions Taken by the CFPB
- The FTC and State Attorney Generals Against Creditors and Collectors
- Discussion of Their Potential Impact on Vicarious Liability
- FDCPA Litigation
- Direct Liability Under the FDCPA
- Vicarious Liability Under the FDCPA
- Creditor Exposure
- Other Twists on Vicarious Liability
- FDCPA Class Actions and Vicarious Liability
- The CFBP's Service Provider Requirements and Vicarious Liability Implications
- The CFPB Expects All Covered Entities to Exercise Significant Control Over Their Service Providers in Order to Ensure Compliance With Consumer Protection Laws
- Are the New CFPB's Service Provider Requirements Effectively Eliminating the Use of Independent Contractors From the Collection Space?
- TCPA Litigation
- Overview of Cases Dealing With Vicarious Liability for TCPA Violations
- Do You Need to Be the One Placing the Calls?
Corinne C. Heggie
Jeffrey A. Topor
- Partner with Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP's Business Litigation Practice Group in Chicago
- Defends individual and class action law suits involving claims brought under various state and federal laws, including the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Has experience with state and federal regulatory investigations into the business practices of debt collection agencies and attorneys, including various states' attorneys general, the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation, the Illinois Attorney Registration & Disciplinary Committee and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Partner at the San Francisco law firm, Simmonds & Narita LLP
- Concentrates almost exclusively on consumer financial services litigation
- Has successfully defended creditors, debt buyers, collection agencies and collection law firms against claims arising under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), and various other consumer protection laws, in individual and class actions, in state and federal trial and appellate courts
- Frequently gives presentations to members of the collection industry, including ACA, Int'l. and the National Association of Retail Collection Attorneys
- J.D. degree, magna cum laude, William Mitchell College of Law in St. Paul, Minnesota; graduate, University of Minnesota
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Bank Call Report Preparation for Beginners
Call Reports: RC-C Loan Coding and Related RC-R Reporting
Introduction To Credit Analysis
Controlling the Risks of Power of Attorney Documents
ACH Exception Processing
Certified Regulatory Vendor Program Manager
Writing an Effective Credit Memorandum
Calculating Cash Flow
Financial Risk Manager Certification
CSA Certified Senior Advisor
Qualified Financial Advisor (QFA)
Loan Officer Boot Camp
Loan Processing 101: The Basics