The Chartered Financial Consultant® (ChFC) designation program focuses on the comprehensive financial planning process as an organized way to collect and analyze information on a client's total financial situation; to identify and establish specific financial goals; and to formulate, implement, and monitor a comprehensive plan to achieve those goals.
The ChFC program provides financial planners and others in the financial services industry with in-depth knowledge of the skills needed to perform comprehensive financial planning for their clients.
Candidates must pass an examination for eight of the following courses to earn the designation - six required and two elective.
Elective Courses - (choose 2)
- HS 300: Financial Planning: Process and Environment
- HS 311: Fundamentals of Insurance Planning
- HS 321: Income Taxation
- HS 326: Planning for Retirement Needs
- HS 328: Investments
- HS 330: Fundamentals of Estate Planning
- HS 322: The Financial System in the Economy
- HS 332: Financial Planning Applications
- HS 334: Estate Planning Applications
- HS 352: Financial Decisions for Retirement
The tuition for each course above is $599, plus $25 for shipping and handling of course materials. The exam fee is included in this tuition. For new students to The American College, there also is a one-time, non-refundable New Student Fee of $135.00.
Each exam is a two-hour, 100 question, computer-administered exam. National exams are given throughout the year at local testing centers, with your results provided immediately upon the completion of your exam. Contact Prometric Testing Centers at 800-266-3232 for more information or to schedule your exam. An additional exam fee may apply.
Candidates must meet experience requirements and ethical standards, including three years of business experience immediately preceding the date of use of the designation are required; an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited educational institution qualifies as one year of business experience and, when using formal education as qualifying experience, the remaining two years must immediately precede the date of the award.
Continuing Education Requirements
Each designee who falls in one of the following categories must complete 30 hours of continuing education every two years. If you do not fall into one of these categories, you are exempt from CE requirements:
- Licensed insurance agent/broker/consultant
- Licensed security representative/registered investment advisor
- Financial consultant, attorney, accountant, employee benefits specialist, and any other individual who provides insurance, employee benefits, financial planning, or estate planning advice and counsel to the public
Recommended Courses & Available Training Options
While students must register directly with the American College for this course, ABTrainingCenter.com offers multiple courses and study guides for help with earning the ChFC designation.
Simply select one of the recommended courses below, or search under "Licensing/Designations" in the search box thereafter for "ChFC - Chartered Financial Consultant".